Self care September!
For this months blog, we are chatting about the importance of self-care. More often than not, when self-care is mentioned in or out of the clinic room, it is met with an eye roll and an expression of a busy lifestyle and lack of time. But what we neglect to consider is that self-care is not selfish, but essential. If we don’t replenish what life takes out, we are the high risk of burn out, resulting in low mood, anxiety, stress, IBS, the list goes on.
Stress that's left unchecked can contribute to many health problems, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, and diabetes. Stress can also have a direct effect on digestion, often leading to IBS.
So for the month of September, why don’t we replenish what stress takes out?
Do you accept the challenge?
To complete the challenge, choose one point from the list below to do each day. Some are longer or shorter than others to ensure they can be completed each day.
1. Meditate for 5-10 Minutes a Day via headspace app (found on android or apple store)
2. Write down 3 things you're grateful for
3. Sit down at the table for breakfast every morning
4. Read something you enjoy (not off a screen) for 15 minutes before bed each night
5. Write down on a post it, one thing each day you love about yourself and stick it to your bathroom mirror.
6. Watch 30 minutes of that show you've been meaning to catch up on
7. Cook a meal for yourself each day
8. Take a short walk somewhere peaceful, without headphones.
9. Spend 15 minutes each day organizing a space in your home
10. Have a nice bubble bath
11. Go on a short bike ride
12. Drink half your body weight in oz of water throughout the day
13. Complete one random acts of kindness
14. Eat an apple/banana/orange/piece of fruit each day
15. Complete a Crossword or Sudoku Puzzle
16. Say something nice to yourself in the mirror in the morning
17. Watch How To Videos on something you've always wanted to learn (check YouTube)
18. 15 minutes of listening to your favorite music
19. Sitting in nature
20. Cuddling with a pet
21. Text a friend and let them know why they matter to you
22. Watch funny YouTube videos
23. Skype a friend or family member (even for a few minutes)
24. Watch sunset or sunrise
25. Take a photo of something that makes you happy
26. Write down one thing each day that made you laugh
27. Spend 10 minutes drawing or doodling -- even if you think you "can't"
28. Write down a quote or something powerful you heard and stick it up in your house
29. Write yourself an encouraging note for the next day
30. Donate one thing from your home every day for a month
31. Spend time coloring- mindfulness colouring books for adults are a great activity
32. Work on an art project (if youre not arty, an adult paint by numbers can be helpful)
33. Watch a TED talk
34. Try yoga
35. Learn a new word
36. Eat meals without your phone or TV
37. Write a Thank You note/card
38. Take a walk without your phone
39. Go to the local pool
40. Drink green tea
41. Walk 10,000 steps
42. Take 10 deep breaths in and out in the morning and before bed
43. Bake something (bring the leftovers to work or give to someone in need)
44. Write down something you did each day that made you feel proud
45. Keep a list of what you accomplished each day
46. Start a bullet journal
47. Drive somewhere new
48. Have a cup of coffee (or tea) with a book or newspaper in a coffee shop
49. Visit the library
50. Turn off all electronics after 7pm
51. Write down negative thoughts and cross them out
52. Set a bedtime and stick to it
53. Look in the mirror and say out loud what you love about your appearance
Remember self-care is not selfish, but essential!